Saturday, July 21, 2018

Expectation vs. Reality!



Picture courtesy - Google Images

I find it remarkable that in well-kept, clean, aesthetically maintained societies, a set of people keep their environs so clean and are obviously proud of what they have been bestowed by nature and what they have created themselves.

Of all the traits, I find my countrymen lacking in self-respect the most and that explains our callousness towards everything.

There are two things, well actually four.

First, for me to enjoy rights I must also perform my duties.

Secondly, I cannot contribute to the litter, mess, commotion, chaos if I want a clean, sane Country. It is not 'THEM.' It is always 'US.'

Thirdly, I cannot be selfish and take care of just my house. Even the surroundings are my responsibility. If we can do all three then let's start talking about what we want our Government and other bodies to do.

And fourth, we need a major shift in the Indian mindset, that of wanting others - Government, Civic bodies, servants, helpers, heck even scavenging animals - to pick after us.

"Blaming others is a National Pastime. And, people don’t know any better. Lastly, until poverty is eradicated, discipline instilled, clean Indians are a utopian dream. I see the same here in Canada. Indian neighbourhoods are ghettos," avers my Facebook friend Ash Basu.


But I don't think it is about poverty alone. Though poor economic backgrounds could be more prone, with Indians it has nothing to do with wealth or education sadly. 

It, I think, boils down to conditioning over generations, misplaced priorities and a larger lack of pride both in our roots and new homes we build upon migrating within the country. 

We seem to lack in a 'sense of belongingness' and a "sense of ownership' big time! 



                                               Picture courtesy - Google Images



No comments: