Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Bonding with Bond!!!



So, I have been talking to Ruskin Bond since yesterday. When we began our conversation, he, of course, remembered his old friend Brahm Dev and reminisced about the time he would spend sitting around in Brahm Uncle's shop at Astley Hall.

What was even more remarkable is that he remembered THAT Sunday Times interview vividly. He had a little difficulty placing me first but then the memory gates opened and he recalled all about me and my visits to Muss and meetings with him in Delhi.

Today, when I called him, he had placed me well in his memory and we spoke like old friends.

His voice was genuinely warm and friendly and he was in a chatty mood today. He was quite chuffed when I told him that he sounds just the same. That his voice is still full of youngness, the same energy and vibrancy.

I was awed by his mental acuity I told him and wished to be even half of what he is when I get to his age.

He told me to come visit him in Landour. I asked him what should I get for him. And this is what he said, "I have been quite irritated this morning. I can't find Scotch tape around here. I have cello tape but it tends to stick to my pants."

I don't know what he was doing, but I must remember to bring him Scotch tape when I see him next.

As an aside, the moment Ruskin uttered Scotch, I remembered my dialogue with another writer.

One time I spoke with Kushwant Singh, I asked him what should I get for him. He said don't get anything really, but bring a bottle of Scotch and we will have a Sundowner :-)

Both great men, great writers with their own quirkiness!!! 






***** 

No comments: